An Italian and Middle Eastern Inspired Life!

An Italian and Middle Eastern Inspired Life!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Leavin' Tomorrow!

Here I sit in my classroom, waiting for my final check-out, annoyed at how much work I have to do before I depart tomorrow.  I am exhausted.  I feel like this trip is a final exam and I just have to remind myself the hard part is almost over!  It reminds me of a field trip with the kids: leading up with all the preparations, packing, paperwork....it's mind boggling.  But then...you arrive and a new adventure starts.

I am ready for that spot.  I cannot imagine how I will turn off my brain while I am there, worrying about all the things to get ready for the 2014/15 school year.  Yet, I know I need to turn off my brain if I am to be any use to anyone.  I hope regular writing will help me to focus, relax and reflect.

I leave tomorrow from San Francisco at 9:55pm and fly overnight to Washington, D.C.  I hope they have a fun airport, because I will need to fill my 6 hour layover somehow.  It is a good thing that time is irrelevant in airports and that a 7am breakfast with a Bloody Mary is perfectly acceptable.  Next stop: Ottawa.  I have never been to Canada, so 3 hours in the airport will likely be thrilling, ay?  Finally I board and head to Frankfurt where I hear I can find some of Germany's best brats, so there will be no need to cab into the city and back (you know who you are ;).  And finally I arrive in Florence, 9am local time on Friday.  Yes, Friday.  I leave Wednesday and arrive Friday.  But guess what...I do not care about a long trip.  All I care about is seeing Alex for the first time in 6 months!  When you have been in a relationship for 8 years that has been affected by distance and waiting from the start, you learn to grow patient.  Whether it is waiting for paperwork or to see each other, we have learned it is all worth it because there is simply no other way for us to live.  Being together is that important.

So, now that I have bored you with my "route talk" (if you don't know what I mean by "route talk", I highly urge you to listen to a hilarious podcast by clicking here), I would love to hear some ideas or questions.  Comment and let me know what you would like to see as I journey along!  Most time will be spent in Florence, with a road trip to Amsterdam to see Alex' family.  Believe it or not, I have still not met his mom, dad and brothers in person.  I know, 8 years!  Ridiculous. I am very excited about it and will be sure to post all about it.

I hope you all enjoy my journeys!  Some of you may be new to my blog and some are old friends!  I love sharing this with you.

ZM


No comments: