An Italian and Middle Eastern Inspired Life!

An Italian and Middle Eastern Inspired Life!

Monday, June 23, 2014

Living the Life Italian Style

Finalmente!  The internet in the apartment has been so spotty, I am finally sitting down in the shop to write.  It has been an exhausting, but fun few days.  My trip was surprisingly smooth.  I slept most of the time, so arrived ready to go!  Alex and hs co-worker Luca picked me up at the airport and drove us to the center.  The studio Alex has rented in the center, 5 Via del Corso, is small, but perfect.  The location is unbeatable and we can be anywhere we want within minutes.

My first request was a stop at Istanbul, a Doner Kebab spot.  I know, it is Italy, but I love this kebab, which is essentially a burrito with lettuce, french fries, ketchup, shriracha, taziki and hummus.  Yum!


And then I hit the wall.  I decided to return to the studio for a nap while Alex went to work.  My nap turned into a five hour crash and I was awakened by Tocatta and Fugue in D minor being played on the organ across the street.  And, oh, guess what?  They play it all the time. It is like an organ fest there 24/7.  OK, more like 8/7.  But you catch my drift.  One of the joys of living in the center of Firenze.

Meals have been amazing to say the least.  We enjoyed a lovely dinner at Il Barroccio on my first night.  This is where Alex and I had our first date and I was so excited to see the the owner, Gianni, is really making it a nice place over the years.  He finally got permission from the city to have outside seating.  And even though it is no longer on the menu, he made me my favorite dish: Spaghetti ale Vongole con Zucchini.  We had a lovely time catching up and recreated the moment as best we could, even with Alex overpaying for a red rose that is probably dead by now.  Oh, romance!







Unfortunately, as usual, I seem to have gotten the Florence crud.  It seems I fall ill everytime I arrive, likely not used to the germs I encounter, either here or on the plane.  So, we have been mello and I am taking a lot of naps.  I got some medicine at the pharmacy and it never ceases to amaze me how pseudoephedrine can make me feel both exhausted and anxious as all get out at the same time.   

It did not stop us, however from a wonderful dinner out on Saturday night at Acqua al Due.  This is an old favorite and it really did not disappoint.  We walked in and were greeted by old friends, procured a lovely seat and had a truly Italian meal, highlighted with candle light, atmosphere and service that lingered in the perfect way.  We enjoyed my favorite Insalata Greca, shared the Tortelli Tartufo (which was plate-lick worthy), and our favorite, of course, Petto di Pollo al Porto.  By the time we left, I almost needed to be carried home, reminding me that in the years of becoming more active and healthy, overeating is fun while sitting down, but not when you have to make an escape ;)







Other than that, been taking leisurely strolls, acclimating and relaxing.  Went on a mission today to find a gym.   I have to work out and am going nuts.  It is too hot to run and, quite frankly, it smells like pee everywhere.  It is proving challenging to find a drop-in spot and I cannot convince myself to pay a 129 Euro per month + 50 Euro starter fee + 60 Euro doctor's fee to get a physical.  I would like to blame the pee on the homeless, but let's be real here: drunk students walking home late from the bars is the main culprit......not that I speak from experience or anything.  We hear them all night long passing under our window at all hours.  If it isn't the organ, it's the drunk people yelling.  When did I get so old?  Oh wait, what's that I hear?  It is 10:18 pm and, you guessed it, Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor is revving up again.  Go home organist, you are drunk!

Hope you are all doing well.  I promise to check in more often and offer exciting tales of Italian life.  And by that I mean, details about what I am eating.  You know that's what you wanna hear about.

Love to you all,
Michelle

5 comments:

Jillian said...

You are beautiful! Have an amazing time. Love you both!

Anonymous said...

Now I want to go.. Have fun and stay safe!
Laci

Anonymous said...

You made me so friggin hungry!! Love the blog..... Jan F.

Rita Hartman said...

You are such a funny sweet young lady. Thanks for sharing. Hugs to you and Alex. <3

Anonymous said...

So jealous! Glad you are having a great summer!