An Italian and Middle Eastern Inspired Life!

An Italian and Middle Eastern Inspired Life!

Sunday, November 16, 2008

PERINI

So, I am inlove. I have a new boyfriend. His name is Simone. Wait, don't be alarmed. I still love Alex and he is my real bf, but Simone... I love Simone.

Simone works at the Perini counter in the Mercato Centrale. We stumbled upon Perini when Alex, mom and I went to the Central Market. We were helped by a nice American girl named Eliza. She works at Perini and has lived in Florence for three years. It was nice to meet her because she speaks English and she had us try all these wonderful things found only at Perini. We tried three kinds of Pecorino cheese and four fruit mustards: fig, cherry, pear, and orange. They were so delicious, mom and I knew we had to return the following day to stock up the house.

Upon returning, we were warmly welcomed by the owner, and our little helper Simone. He did not bat an eyelash when I asked for 1 Kilogram of Salame Milanese. Now I know from experice that that is a LOT of salame. However, all the times I lived here before, I never got into the whole buying food at the counter thing, so the kilos and what not have been a mystery. Now I am an expert. 1 Kilo is like 2.5 Lbs. That is a lot of Salame.

While deciding what else I wanted, Simone was sure to have us try all sorts of things, like pickled garlic, prosciutto on cracker bread, and more cheese with their homemade fruit mustards. Now, these fruit mustards are amazing. Mom and I have deduced that they are candied fruits that have been thrown in the food processor with mustard powder and honey. They are a divine mixture of sweet and spicey.

We got some fun cheeses to try and went home, only to return two days later for more. To my shock, Simone remembered my name and the owner and him proceeded to shove food down our throats while we ordered more and more treats. We left with fig mustard, fresh pecorino, fresh pesto, and a creamy mushroom sauce. We drew the line at a pint of the most fresh, silky smooth ricotta I have ever tasted. We also sampled a delicious Parmeggiano Reggiano with balsamic vinegar dabbled on it, a tartufo (truffle) ricotta, and a spinach tart I would die for.

We left full and continued to be full as the night progressed. Mom and I went home and made a wonderful dinner for Alex. We made a homemade vegetable soup with fresh porcini mushrooms from the market and tons of veggies we bought. "Quattro cento grami di pomodori e quattro un kilo di finnochio!" Janeille and I are now masters at buying fruit and veggies in Italia!

I have never eaten so much cheese in my life!

Pictures From Dinner-In




No comments: