An Italian and Middle Eastern Inspired Life!

An Italian and Middle Eastern Inspired Life!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas in Firenze

I absolutely love being here in Florence during this time of year. Christmas has been slowly coming out for the past two weeks or so and now it is here! There are lights everywhere, Christmas Carols on the radio, roasting chetnuts on the street, and Christmas fairs galore.

We have especially been enjoying the German Christmas Fair that is being held in Piazza Santa Croce for almost the entire month of December. We have been eating Bratwurst, Mozart chocolates, and a new found treat that we have decided to call a Tube-Nut.





My dad named it a Tube Nut because it is a long tube with a hole in it, like a Dough-Nut. So, they take this dough and wrap it around a wood shaft and heat it over the fire to form a crispy tube they cover with chocolate, sugar, cinnoman and sugar, walnuts, coconut, or just butter. Don't forget the Nutella dipping sauce!

Makin' Tube Nuts


My favorite part about Christmas in Florence is the Christmas lights! They are everywhere. Almost every street has a canopy of lights above, allowing you to walk under a street of stars. Each street has a different design to their lights. My favorite are the long drippy ones... no wait, the curtains.... oh who knows. It is all gorgeous!


There is also an abundance of Christmas trees. One of the main streets has huge planter boxes in the middle of it filled with Christmas tree landscapes. There is also a huge tree in Piazza Della Repubblica and one all the way up in Piazzale Michelangelo. I haven't seen it yet, but I can see it everytime Alex and I walk home. I can tell it is HUGE by how it looks standing next to the bronze David up there. I hope to see it in the next few nights before I leave.

Alex and I in Front of the Tree in Piazza Della Repubblica


Dad Enjoying a Christmas Light Walk


Throwing This in For Lance: I Guess This is How They do Lights in Italy
THEY NEED YOUR HELP!!!!


So yes, you heard me right. I am leaving very very soon. I cannot tell you how sad I am to leave Alex, but I am also very thankful to come home and be with my family and friends for the Holidays. I truly miss my work and am ready to be productive and start planning Alex's journey to the US.

I have had many people ask me when we will get married and what the plan is, so I would like to share that with you all. Alex and I have hired a lawyer and while I have been here, we have been working on getting all the necessary documents together. At this point, we have all we need and when I return to the US, I will submit everything to the lawyer, who will then send it off to wherever it goes. I have been told the process can take 4 months to two years! Our lawyer is thinking more like 5-9 months. After he is granted the Visa, he will have 6 more months to come into the US.

So, as far as wedding plans.....I have no clue. We cannot really plan until we know when he will be here. So, I think 2010 is a safe bet. Coincidentally, my cousin Jillian in Wichita got engaged the day before Alex and I, so it looks like our family will be celebrating two weddings in 2010. Congrats to Jilly!

I hope all of you are doing well and gearing up for the Holidays. This is my favorite time of year and I am so lucky to be able to share my time and stories with you all. I will do my best to plug out a few more posts before I go, but I do have some fun ideas for follow up blogs about Florence once I come home.

Ciao for now!

3 comments:

Evie said...

It looks so beautiful, but I know how cold Florence can be in the winter, brrrr.
I ran into Paul O'Keefe last Friday night, too funny right? And we all went to see Tad's band play on Saturday night.
I can't wait to meet Alex and chat when you get home. Thanks for updating your blog so much! And I hope that Alex's visa process goes smoothly. I used to work on work visas and all that immigration stuff with my last job, it's a doozy. Have a safe flight home! xoxo

JenniferR said...

I came across your blog and loved it. Your stories are so interesting and heartwarming and make me feel like I'm right in Italy. I was there once a long time ago and always wanted to go back. I hope you and your young man are together now and starting your new life. Good Luck!

Zia Michy said...

Jennifer R....thank you so much for your comment! I am glad someone out there found it. I hope to return in Jan or Feb to get Alex and bring him home, so stay tuned for more posts. We may hit up Austria too!